Evaluating a biopsy for the presence of cancer is a life-changing moment that deserves clarity.
The current diagnostic approach for anatomical pathology is labor intensive, disconnected and relies on antiquated technologies.
Lumea has developed an integrated biopsy-to-digital diagnostic platform that modernizes the pathology process enabling greater diagnostic clarity.
A patient’s cancer journey often begins with a fragile biopsy.
A biopsy holds the key information for an accurate diagnosis and subsequent cancer treatment. LUMEA has developed next-generation tissue handling technology that sets a new standard in protecting and preserving biopsies enabling greater diagnostic clarity.
Current processes for handling and preparing biopsies for diagnosis by a pathologist are inefficient, costly, and have varying levels of quality standards. Small needle core biopsies are at particular risk for fragmentation and tissue loss.
THE SOLUTION: BxChip™
The BxChip™ is a specially formulated clinical tissue array designed to hold six needle core biopsies throughout the laboratory processing. They are easily processed, embedded and section just like biopsy tissue. Additionally, the BxChip™ allows for multiplexing six cores on one slide.
Game-changing laboratory technology enabling greater diagnostic clarity:
- 31% increase in length of biopsy tissue. Cores are extended and lay straight and flat, greatly increasing the amount of tissue available for review by the pathologist
- Reduced biopsy fragmentation
- 73% decrease in laboratory processing time (grossing, embedding, sectioning)
- 37% decrease in pathology diagnostic time
- Improved molecular/genetic testing by reducing the likelihood of “insufficient tissue” result.
- Six-fold reduction in slide storage
Glass slides, microscopes, and fax machines are still the primary diagnostic and communication tools for cancer. It is time for change.
BxLink™ is a next generation Laboratory Information System
- Manages biopsy workflow from patient to diagnostic report
- Links hospitals, clinics, labs and pathologists all on one platform
- Artificial intelligence-assisted grossing
- Integrated whole slide image scanning
- Annotated driven diagnosis
- Built-in digital consultation tools
- Smart report generation tool
Pattern recognition is a critical part of the cancer diagnostic process.
Deep learning algorithms or artificial intelligence (AI) can be trained to assist pathologists in identifying and classifying suspicious tissue on a digital image. AI will revolutionize diagnostic medicine by assisting pathologists in reducing costs, increasing quality, and expanding access to diagnostic services.
TRADITIONAL AI BARRIERS
- Inconsistent digital images from laboratory to laboratory because of widely-varying practices in tissue handling and processing
- Obstacles with digital workflow integration
- Lack of annotated cancer images
LUMEA’s technology platform overcomes the traditional barriers to the development and commercialization of AI.
BxChip™ – A clinical tissue array which drives tissue-processing standardization resulting in a consistent platform for digital image production
BxLink™ – An integrated digital diagnostic platform with built-in whole slide image scanning and annotated-driven diagnosis that provides the critical data needed for AI development.
DxLogic – AI algorithms designed to bring greater clarity to diagnostic medicine